2009-02-23

On Being Action-Oriented...

Quick reflection on being action-oriented...

I did a small, boneheaded thing today. Details aren't important. I just did half of something and forgot about the other half. And it's a task that should be handed by a functional person because it's related to customer config data.

(If you're scrunching your nose and furrowing your brow about that, there's usually a dotted line in larger IT organizations that separate "applications" and "data." I can help you install Excel. I can teach you how to use it. I might even show you a formula or two. But I really should leave it up to you to maintain your own spreadsheet, even if you ask me nicely to tinker with it)

All in all, it's a pretty innocent mistake, and everyone is OK with it. In fact, it was barely more than a fleeting thought in a long conversation.

But it made me reflect on times I've been called on the carpet vs. times I haven't. And the times I've been called to task are almost universally times where I haven't done something (for any number of good or bad reasons).

In other words, any time I've made an error of action, it's generally been forgivable. Good thing to remember.

No comments: